Will Your Personal Trainer Help You Achieve Your Goals?
Hiring a personal trainer can be a significant investment ? even with hourly rates differing vastly across regions and countries ? you are still paying a fair amount of money for the expert knowledge that will help you achieve your health and fitness goals and look after one of, if not, THE most important assets you have ? your body.
So how should you choose a personal trainer and what are the things you need to look out for, ask them and receive from them?
First and foremost, you MUST ensure your personal trainer is fully and properly qualified. This means they should hold, at the very least, the following:
A CPR certification ? if you do have any accidents or problems your personal trainer must know how to deal with them and ensure your safety to the best of their ability.
A recognised personal training qualification ? this obviously differs from country to country and there are only a few internationally-recognised qualifications. Most countries have a self-regulating body ? in the UK this is REPS (the Register of Exercise Professionals) and you should ensure your personal trainer is registered here before you even consider hiring them. If in doubt, ask your trainer which qualifications they have ? most won't be offended but will be keen to show them off.
Once you are satisfied they hold the necessary qualifications, here are a few pointers to look out for. A 'good' versus a 'bad' personal trainer should:
1. Carry out initial health & fitness assessments. You should be asked to complete a PAR-Q (Physical Activity Readiness questionnaire) at a minimum and your trainer should perform some basic tests such as weight, blood pressure, perhaps body composition, girth measurements, lung capacity and aerobic fitness or strength. This is essential if you want to know whether what you've paid them has been worth it ? if you can't see the progress or differences working with a trainer has made because they forgot to measure a baseline when you started with them, then although you may feel fitter, slimmer or stronger you won't have hard facts & figures to prove it.
2. Discuss your goals with you and adjust any unrealistic expectations you may have. To get your business, a trainer may promise that you will lose half a stone of fat in 2 weeks or you'll get the body of your dreams in a month even though you've never exercised before and are 3 stone overweight ? this does you no good. You will have unrealistic expectations & goals from the outset and will be much more likely to become de-motivated & disillusioned when you realise you haven't lost a stone in a week. Whilst a good trainer will not discourage you from your ultimate goals, they should at least educate you on the realistic progressions you are likely to make.
3. Design a programme that is tailored especially to your needs and your body. This may sound obvious but I have seen plenty of trainers run through identical training sessions with every one of their clients. This ties in with the first point ? if they haven't completed assessments & initial tests on you, then they won't know what your individual needs are. You are paying them to provide you with a fully customised service ? that's why it's called 'personal'.
4. Track your progress at every session ? you may not see them carrying a clipboard or doing this during the session but your trainer should know when they need to adjust your programme and what adjustments to make. If they've been winging your sessions and haven't been planning & tracking your progress, how will they know what adjustments to make after a few weeks?
5. Show you how to exercise safely & correctly ? again this may seem a given but if your trainer gives you a programme and then just leaves you to it, they are putting you at risk and not only will you probably struggle to achieve your goals without their attention, you may even injure yourself. Similarly, even if they are supervising you, they should constantly be giving you tips, adjustments or even just positive affirmations that you are performing your exercises correctly ? not watching the sport on TV or chatting to other staff & clients.
6. Advise you on your diet & nutrition. Exercise is only part of the equation - a good personal trainer will ensure they are also taking a look at your dietary needs to compliment your training programme and ensure you are eating the right things, at the right times to achieve your goals.
All of the above are nothing however, if you don't actually get on with your personal trainer! They may be the most highly qualified person you can find ? but if spending an hour with them (sometimes 3 times a week) is like spending an hour in the dentist's chair or worse, then you probably aren't going to get the full benefit of working with a trainer. They don't have to be your best buddy, just ensure that you feel comfortable with them, can trust them and that you do enjoy your sessions ? in a masochistic kind of way!
Lea Woodward is a qualified personal trainer and director of activOne ltd in the UK. activOne provides personal training, diet & nutrition advice and massage therapy to private clients & corporate wellbeing services in the UK as well as virtual training to clients worldwide. Check out the website http://www.activone.co.uk or http://www.activone.com
7 Reasons To Start Up With an Exercise Program
Most of us need to follow an exercise program. This is due to the fact that just a minority of Americans exercise in a significant way. Below follows 7 good reasons to start exercising now.
5 Essential Walking Exercise Tips
Walking exercise is one of the easiest ways to get in shape and burn fat. In fact, mile for mile, you can burn as many calories walking as you would jogging. It's also one of the best stress relieving exercises that anyone can do, regardless of fitness level.
Bodybuilding, Weight Loss, and Exercise Tips ? Goal Setting for Long Term Results
My name is Greg Ryan. I am a fitness expert, professional bodybuilder, personal trainer to movie stars, former employee of Kathy Smith and have over 50,000 hours of paid personal training sessions under my belt. For the last twenty years I have been able to continually make progress, stay consistent and have some fun in my quest to be in better shape.
Exercise and Losing Weight for Life ? Avoid the #1 Mistake Everyone Makes!
Do you ever feel like you are working out so hard and nothing seems to happen? You just can't seem to lose that last few pounds, increase your benchpress or tighten up those triceps. Why?
6 Things A Norwegian Fable Teaches Us About Healthy Perseverance Part 1
Author, H. Besser, in his book, "Perseverance: How To Develop It," shares a Norwegian fable about a man who left his hometown to rejoin his fiancée. They were to get married when he arrived.
A Great Way To Spice Up Your Workouts -- Interval Training
There's been a lot of buzz recently about Interval Training. So, you may be wondering what it really is and, more importantly, why you should incorporate it in your fitness workouts. Well, if you want a workout that can help propel you to the next fitness level, burn more calories, increase your speed, improve your power and more, then it's time to learn more about this effective technique.
Weight Training: The Real Weight Loss Exercise
So you want to lose weight? Chances are, you'll spend the next few days "pigging out" while in the back of your mind you resolve that ...Starting Monday, no more fried foods, no more between meal snacking, no more whatever it is you think is causing you to pack on those ugly pounds. So Monday rolls around and sure, you start out strong, eat right all day. Next day same thing, maybe you'll make it a week. Unfortunately, after a few days, you'll probably find yourself scoffing down a double whopper somewhere, and that will be it, the diet will be over, and you'll quickly gain back whatever weight you may have lost ?plus a few extra pounds just for good measure.
10 User Friendly Habits for Successful Home Gym Training
Are you dissatisfied with your current training program? Are you not achieving the results you had hoped for when you started training? If you are you stuck on a fitness plateau and are in need of some tips on how to start seeing progress then keep reading.
Exercise Tips: Move Your Body - Boost Your Productivity
Do you find yourself setting a New Year's Resolution (every year) to get fit/go to the gym/lose weight/drink more water? If you could answer yes to any of those. I totally understand. I did that too for many years. But I also discovered two weeks into January I had blown my resolution and then would feel guilty for "not achieving my goals". What I discovered was it was more about making movement part of my everyday routine (notice I used the word movement not exercise)! Making little changes in your life can help you make exercise part of your life, rather than something you "have to do"!
Exercise - Anxiety & Panic
Yes, all I'm afraid this does play a part in reducing anxiety and depression. As much as you may not like doing it (I've never been a huge fan of it myself) but once you get into it, you certainly feel better for it afterwards.
Top 10 Mistakes To Avoid When Exercising the Abdominals
The abdominal muscles are essential for maintaining good posture and core stability, however many exercisers are unclear on the correct way to exercise them. Traditional exercises for the abdominals include crunches and sit-ups also known as trunk curls and curl-ups. The following are ten things to avoid when performing exercise for the abs.
Top 10 Tips For Finding Time For Exercise
If you're like most people, finding time for
Calf Cramps - How To Get More Gain For Less Pain!
I cannot imagine that there is anyone past the age of about 10, that has never had calf cramps. Let's face it, they are horrible. From having no pain and full movement to excruciating agony in a matter of seconds. I think that you can relate to that. If you are into sports though, calf cramps are far more common, and can stop you in your tracks. So what are calf cramps exactly? Anyone competing in sports know that they usually occur after strenuous exercise. But what about those poor folk who wake up with cramps for no discernable reason. So, how do they occur?
Mom, How F.I.T.T. Is Your Workout?
Moms don't have the time or desire to mess around with complicated workouts that don't get results. If you want real Mommy Muscle you need a plan that's based on principles not infomercials and advertising.
Essential Power Walking Tips
Ever since I took a power walking class in college, I have been hooked. If you are thinking about learning how to power walk, I strongly urge you to do so. It is fun and a great way to get in shape and stay healthy. Friends and family members can join in, and it ends up being a great way to bond as well. So, spend a little bit of time learning about power walking. You may find that it is just what you are looking for. We will discuss the fundamentals of power walking, as well as go over a list of the equipment that you need to get started.
Top 3 Back Pain Risk Factors
Lower back pain is an increasingly common problem in fact four out of five Americans will experience lower back pain at least once in their lifetime.
Rotator Cuff: Exercises and Strategies to Prevent Injury
Have you ever experienced a dull ache or sharp pain in your shoulder or upper arm? Maybe you are unable to sleep on one side because your shoulder wakes you up at night. Perhaps, you have discomfort reaching behind your back to tuck in your shirt or grab your wallet. If so, you may be suffering from a rotator cuff injury.
Building those impressively sleek shoulders takes a great deal of raw grind but once you sport a shapely set, you'll quickly be separated from the rest. If you like to wear bikinis or summer dresses that reveal your upper torso, shoulder training is ideal in sporting a sexy physique.
How to Pick a Good Personal Trainer
One of the major benefits of the YourBestBodyNOW Program and several other programs like it is that you can lose weight and meet your fitness and weight loss goals even if you have neither the time nor money to get a personal trainer.
How To Get Started With Exercise: The Magic Pill Of Your Weight Loss Program
In a previous article, I mentioned the weight loss mantra of "Eat Less... Move More" and I wrote about how to choose the diet plan that could help you eat less. In this article I will discuss the "move more" part of the equation.
|home | site map|